• Dear Guest, Please do NOT forget to join our TESTING JOBS (ONLY) FACEBOOK GROUP to be aware of latest TESTING openings, and you may also post any TESTING related queries/jobs.

When do you choose Automation Testing ?

Learning and implementing automated testing can be both time and resource consuming. So for large projects or long-term projects, automated testing can be invaluable.

But for small projects, the time needed to learn and implement the automated testing tools is usually not worthwhile.

Automated testing tools sometimes do not make testing easier. One problem with automated testing tools is that if there are continual changes to the product being tested, the recordings have to be changed so often, that it becomes a very time-consuming task to continuously update the scripts. Another problem with such tools is that the interpretation of the results (screens, data, logs, etc.) can be a time-consuming task.

You may continue manual testing if you are going to test your application only once or twice and/or if the simple testing process does not need the expenses of automated testing.

In effect, automated tools may not be the best fit for small projects and the projects that have strict deadlines and limited resources.

ChetanaS

Administrator
Staff member
In my opinion :-

Automation testing should be used :-

# If you know that you are going to repeat certain testing scenarios a number of times...
# If the gains of using automted testing are more than the costs of using it...
# If you have to test vast scenarios (like Testing on multiple languages and multiple platforms), then automated testing can be performed simultaneously in different environments. If you use manual testing in this case, you may need to test in sequential order and that may become toomuch time-consuming...
# If the code is frequently changing and if you face problems to perform regression testing manually...
# If running test cases manually is very time & resource consuming...

Manual testing should be used :-

# If the test cases have to be run only twice or thrice, then manual testing may be enough instead of spending large amount in automated testing...
# If the project cannot afford the costs of configuring and running the automated framework...
# When you need to find bugs in areas that cannot be automated (for example, UI bugs like font-size, font-color...)
# If some areas should be tested more than the others for end-user experience...

In my opinion there are lots of factors that are to be taken into consideration before deciding whether to opt for automated testing or not. If we are going to release only one version of the product and the test cases written now are going to be worth nothing after the release of the product, then automation should be avoided, as I think. There are several reasons for this, such as Cost of the Tool, Cost for its Training, Time (for implementing tests and writing/editing the tests AND for training etc).
If there are timing limitations and we are going to test the application inly once/twice then Manual Testing should be preferred.
But if the Project is too long, we have to test it several times, the cost of the project is also that much higher that it can support the cost of tool and the Test Cases written now are also going to be used in next versions/builds of the product then Automated Testing should be preferred.

In my opinion there are lots of factors that are to be taken into consideration before deciding whether to opt for automated testing or not. If we are going to release only on version of the product and the test cases written now are going to be worth nothing after the release of the product, then automation should be avoided, as I think. There are several reasons for this, such as Cost of the Tool, Cost for its Training, Time (for implementing tests and writing/editing the tests AND for training etc). If there are timing limitations and we are going to test the application inly once/twice then Manual Testing should be preferred.
But if the Project is too long, we have to test it several times, the cost of the project is also that much higher that it can support the cost of tool and the Test Cases written now are also going to be used in next versions/builds of the product then Automated Testing should be preferred.

1- test which required more than one iterations
2- test which required multiple test data.
3 - regration testing test cases.
4- test which should run on every version of the build.

Learning and implementing automated testing can be both time and resource consuming. So for large projects or long-term projects, automated testing can be invaluable.

But for small projects, the time needed to learn and implement the automated testing tools is usually not worthwhile.

Automated testing tools sometimes do not make testing easier. One problem with automated testing tools is that if there are continual changes to the product being tested, the recordings have to be changed so often, that it becomes a very time-consuming task to continuously update the scripts. Another problem with such tools is that the interpretation of the results (screens, data, logs, etc.) can be a time-consuming task.

You may continue manual testing if you are going to test your application only once or twice and/or if the simple testing process does not need the expenses of automated testing.

In effect, automated tools may not be the best fit for small projects and the projects that have strict deadlines and limited resources.
For me what is unclear to me, what makes you to stop manual testing and to start with automation testing. I do not have enough experience with automation testing, so if you can answer will be good for me.